[Malvern] More Networking Questions

Richard Forster rick at forster.uklinux.net
Wed Sep 19 22:12:54 BST 2007

Short answer: Don't know and I doubt there would be much in it (apart
from cost, space and driver issues).

But, I expect some low latency, high performance routing/firewalling
tricks could be played if you could get a multi-port version of this:
http://www.killernic.com/
A network card which runs linux and takes over the OS's network stack.
Essentially I'm thinking that if the traffic is coming in and going out
on different ports on the same card then you could get benefits if you
can process the traffic on the card itself. But if you have to process
the traffic (make routing decisions) in the CPU then it doesn't matter
whether you have 2 cards or 2 ports on one card.

But you can't get a multi-port version so this is academic (and chuffin'
expensive at £180 on play.com).

What have you found then Ian? Which arguments seem plausible and which
are totally hatstand?

Rick

PS It's harder to make plumbing mistakes if you have very different
network cards. Eg I have a D-Link PCI card and a SIS motherboard
interface. When I'm setting up networking I don't have to think "Which
cable goes in which port?" because it's much more obvious which is
which. But then, that's something you only have to get right once and
then you leave it alone.