[Malvern] USB Network Cables

Richard Forster rick at forster.uklinux.net
Sun Aug 17 17:49:29 UTC 2008

Hi

I assume you mean something like this:
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=BLU-USB20-DL&cat=CBL

rather than this:
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/52599   (there are many others out there,
I just picked the first I stumbled upon).

If so, why? I mean, the usb widgets with ethernet sockets in them work
just fine (assuming you get the right chipset etc etc). You just plug
them in and suddenly you have a new network card. Plus it's going to
work whatever the OS is on each machine given things like samba or ssh.

Alternatively, if you are just moving files about then USB flash drives
or hard drives work just fine too.

But....
My Zaurus PDA (running linux) connects using IP over USB which is
basically the first option and it works just fine once you've set it up.
I have a configuration file which fakes a MAC address and I assign a IP
to it etc etc.

Cheers

Rick