[Malvern] Controller Boards

Chris Eilbeck chris at hyperspace.org.uk
Sun Jan 6 17:20:57 GMT 2008

On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 04:59:20PM -0000, Ian Pascoe wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Although this is primarily aimed at Chris, I have to admit I'm tempted to
> get one of these nice little boards to play with.
>
> This project appeared in the LWN just before Xmas
>
> http://www.arduino.cc/

Looks very similar to the Basic Stamps from years ago but using AVRs instead
of PICs (spit!).

> I don't know if you've come across this project before, but I thought you
> might be able to use it for your robots and telemetary instead of the hacked
> Zx81.

What I'm tinkering with at the moment is the Philips series of ARM-based
microcontrollers.  I got a little dev board last week from a bunch call SK
Pang in Essex and a JTAG programmer/debug unit to download stuff into it.

  http://www.skpang.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=74&osCsid=bddb12e56352e608985492038eb49dfb

The development tools are all linux-based but there are higher performance
commercial alternatives too.  I've just got the JTAG working so I can
control my target board (a LPC-P2148 with 512K of flash on it plus two
serial ports, a pair of buttons, a couple of LEDs, a USB client port and a
SD/MMC card connector).

Chris

PS.  Are we doing the GMH tomorrow?
--
Chris Eilbeck
Tripoli UK Member #9527                                          LSMR