[Malvern] BECTA suggests schools should prefer open source to M$

Tony Sumner tony at whittycat.me.uk
Sun Jan 13 12:38:38 GMT 2008

I wonder if there may not be a problem with schools switching to an OS
operating system. I know someone who makes a living writing
educational software. When I asked her if she considered writing linux
versions she said no because the schools run Windows. I imagine (sorry
I know nothing about how schools function) that there must be lots of
software not from Microsoft (and that is one reason the schools run
Windows). It could probably all be converted but who is going to pay
for the conversion and for the suppliers writing two versions of
everything?

Tony Sumner