[Malvern] Debian and Ubuntu.

Ian Pascoe ianpascoe at btinternet.com
Mon Jul 7 21:18:51 BST 2008

Evening Geoff

Nice to hear from you.  Whether the following is true or not, who knows, but
it's my opinion - so there!

Debion is a great distribution, look at all the child distributions it has
spawned includeing Ubuntu.  However, the problem is that the stable release
does not keep up with either kernel or software developments that quickly -
they want to IMO provide a rock solid base and only release new when things
are well and truely known and tested.

Ubuntu however, although not at the bleeding edge of things, provides a more
current and up to date distro .  Yes it does include re-packaged Debion
stuff, but is not afraid to bring some stuff in from outside of it's Debion
inheritance - it also has split itself into particular special interest
groups to ensure as a diverse coverage as it's users demand - going from
mobile internet products, through the various desktops, into server side,
together with things like multimedia centres, dedicated visual and audio
arts etc etc.

Really, the question is whether or not you have hardware or software that
you want to run, that Debion doesn't either support., or if it does, is it
sufficiently advanced for it to be useful to you.

However, I'm biased as it's the only distribution that provides
accessability out of the box that works!

Ian