[Malvern] java in ubuntu

Andrew Oakley Andrew.Oakley at hesa.ac.uk
Tue Sep 29 16:09:34 UTC 2009

As Glyn suggested, make sure you have the Multiverse repository enabled.
Here's a guide for Hardy, I expect the process is similar on later
versions:

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-enable-the-universe-and-multiverse-repo
sitories-in-ubuntu-804-hardy.html

If you still have trouble, please can you post your
/etc/apt/sources.list file and a directory listing of your
/etc/apt/sources.list.d directory. For example:

egrep '^#*\s*deb' /etc/apt/sources.list
ls -shp1 /etc/apt/sources.list.d

(the egrep command above strips out the human-readable paragraphs of
comments; we just want to know the deb lines, even if they're commented
out; the ls command lists files one-per-line using shortened syntax
instead of the full -l detail)

Andrew Oakley
Head of Software Development
Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA)
95 Promenade, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire GL50 1HZ
T 01242 211460  F 01242 211122  W www.hesa.ac.uk
<http://www.hesa.ac.uk/>