[Menai-LUG] Hello

David Goadby dg at pixel-plus.co.uk
Mon Feb 3 01:19:01 2003

Hi Huw,

I take your point; I regularly install SUSE installations myself but I have
no experience at all of any other distro's so would like a look. I use RPM
but have never even looked at a Red Hat system.

The compile from source evening sounds like a good idea too. I have rebuilt
Linux from scratch but always using the supplied shell scripts and
makefiles; usually foolproof.  I am starting to get into RTLinux so kernel
patching is going to be required and I would love to talk to someone about
this or see a demo. I am sure that a few perls of someone else's wisdom
could save me hours of frustration; that is a spirit of the Linux community
at it's best.

Even though I have been using Unix on PC's (then Xenix - urgh) for quite a
while, I know that there are quite a few newcomers around that are just
discovering that there is a world outide U$oft. We must encourage them and
if this means an install night then this is ok by me. The acceptance of
Linux has been hampered too long by the techie image/myth; conversion is
often easy and permanent!

David