[Menai-LUG] Hello

R.P.I.Lewis mapc01 at bangor.ac.uk
Thu Jan 30 13:15:01 2003

>  I have been thinking about this, and my own view is that a pub is
> not in fact the best place to meet, especially if, as someone at the
> meeting pointed out, there is a chance that younger people will come
> along.
>  I would therefore prefer, subject to views, to have the meeting in
> a room somewhere

It might also be useful to have network access available

> (and that does not rule out repairing to a hostelry
> afterwards).  I asked the Greenhouse, which Jim had mentioned at the
> last meeting, but they only have Thursdays and Saturdays free.  I
> can't make a Thursday, and I don't think Saturday is a good night.
> Any views?  I would, being selfish, actually prefer a Monday.

I can't make fridays

> The general view was that the topic should be a demo/install.  So to set the
> ball rolling, I propose three "strands", for which 3 PCs would be needed:

>     * An actual install - I would be willing to do one of SuSE, but
> perhaps a Debian afficionado (yourself?) would be interested in
> doing one. The key thing is that whatever PC is used, there should
> be a couple of dry runs through the install before the presentation,
> to ensure that no embarassing niggles emerge.

I would be willing to help with a Debian install (tho i've only ever
done one install and that was 2.2 a year ago).  The latest stable
release is 3.0r1.  I have 3.0r0 CDs, so one option would be to install
3.0r0 using those, and then demonstrate apt by upgrading to 3.0r1
(either with the CDs Thorben has, or over a network).

> This is a bit ambitious

It sounds fun.

--
Richard Lewis