[Menai-LUG] Mandrake 9.2 installation problem

TJ tj.trevelyan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 10:01:10 GMT 2005

Hi,

Try booting with acpi=off

eg is the install disk is using syslinux boot loader, push
the f# keys to sys what options there are and  how it
input them.
if recall correctly type:
linux acpi=off
to boot the installer with this kernel option.

if its installed:

for grub boot loader edit the boot command and add
acpi=off on the end
(edit /boot/grub/menu.lst to keep it for next boot)

for lilo you can't change boot option on the fly
you'll need to edit /etc/lilo.conf, find the append line
and add acpi=off, then run lilo to rebuild the boot sector.

Sorry if all those options scare, but i dont know which boot
loader you using to boot linux, and its the boot loader that
passes kernel options to the kernel (acpi=off is a kernel option)

Ofcourse in the end acpi=off  may not solve your problem,
its just a possibility that it will provide enough of a workaround
for your computer to boot.
(once installed update your kernel asap, acpi=off is not a long
term solution)

Thorben