[Menai-LUG] Re : Mandrake 9.2 installation problem

Llywelyn Owen llywelyn at bigfoot.com
Fri Feb 25 10:11:45 GMT 2005

Thanks for your replies,

_________________________

I would check the CD first, by running it in another PC if you have one, and
see if it gets past this or not.  If it does, then I would look at the drive
cables.

It does work on all other computers I have DVD access to.
_________________________

Try booting with acpi=off

That seems do the trick, what does acpi do that made the install stick in the first place? How do I find out which installer Mandrake uses?

However, now I can't get the setup to recognize my graphics card setup (Asrock P4S61 M/B with SiS Real256E VGA o/b) and it won't accept anything else from the list either where do I go from here?

I've downloaded SUSE 9.1 personal and that installs without a hitch the same machine, which brings me to Firefox. After I install it on SUSE 9.1 it opens fine first time then cleans up it files and it's gone! I moved the install file to my own usr directory and it's fine. Where should the installed files be deposited? Anywhere but Temp?

This current flurry of activity is an attempt to install a linux setup to my liking so that I can genuinely try to "live off it" for a month at first. I'm always falling back to Windows and don't see the benefit. I expect to install WINE soon to TRY to get TheBAT e-mail client (my favoured one) and possibly Paint Shop Pro7 working on linux. I'm very inexperienced with linux and STILL can't get my head round lots its conventions - when you explain things to me could you compare to how Windows does things wherever possible...

So you can expect quite a few questions from me in the next few weeks.

--
Best regards,
 Llywelyn                            mailto:llywelyn at bigfoot.com