[Menai-LUG] Re: Mandrake 9.2 installation problem (and meetings/UWB)

Kevin Donnelly kevin at dotmon.com
Mon Feb 28 11:00:18 GMT 2005

On Friday 25 Feb 2005 16:04, Joe Llywelyn Griffith Blakesley wrote:
> Hi! I'm not sure that I have posted here before.  Anyway I've been
> lurking.I no longer use Mandrake*--preferring the ease of Debian--but many
> of my friends in UWB halls do.  I think, unless you have a specific reason
> not to you should be installing 10.1.  I seem to remember having some
> problems installing 9.x on a machine.

Good point.

> *Its quite good, but not even the best one for being similar to Microsoft
> Windows (cf. Xandros, &c) or having a negligible learning curve for MSW
> users.

If closeness to Windows is really important, Linspire is actually very good,
except for the thing that keeps flashing to ask you to subscribe to Click 'n'
Run ....

> Meetings/UWB:
> BTW, when do you guys meet?  I'd be interested in coming some time.

Good question.  I gave up on meetings last year, and a couple of the most
faithful attendees (TJ, Tom) are now at gainful employment in the South of
England.  But we probably should have one ... some time ...

> I am also thinking of starting a free-software (esp. but not only
> GNU/Linux--also *BSD; Firefox, OO.org, GIMP, &c on MSW/MacOS) club for UWB
> students, but am not sure that there is enough demand.

Well, why don't you combine them?  You can use the MenaiLUG name if you like
and/or help run it.  Quite a few of the attendees at the meetings we had were
from the Uni, so it might make sense.

One of the key things is deciding what the meetings will do - I tend to prefer
hands-on stuff, but that's difficult to set up.  Having said that, I have
just set up a nice little music server this last week, which allows
individual listeners to set up and run their own playlists simultaneously,
and I'm busy ripping the whole house's CDs, LPs etc.  I suppose a talk on
that would be quite welcome in studentland - you could serve music round the
house/hall!  Of course, everyone would undertake to listen only to their own
CDs ....

--

Pob hwyl / Best wishes

Kevin Donnelly