[Menai-LUG] Re: Mandrake 9.2 installation problem (and meetings/UWB)

Rhys Jones rhys.j.jones at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 09:56:54 GMT 2005

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 11:05:02 +0000, Kevin Donnelly <kevin at dotmon.com> wrote:

> Good luck, and welcome!  KDE has just added a TTS app:
> http://accessibility.kde.org/developer/kttsd/index.php
> The main issue in developing that for Welsh would be setting up the phoneme
> rules and recording the voices.

Well, kttsd isn't a stand-alone TTS app as such - it's more a layer on
top of the speech synthesis engine. The synthesis engine we use in CB
is Festival (http://www.cstr.ed.ac.uk/projects/festival/), for which
one of our team developed Welsh letter-to-sound rules and a Welsh
voice back in the mid-1990s.

Actually getting someone into a recording chamber and recording them
is far less of an issue than subsequent segmentation into phones and
diphones, but give us time :)

Hwyl
Rhys
--