[Menai-LUG] Meeting/Seminar?

Kevin Donnelly kevin at dotmon.com
Thu Feb 8 11:26:13 GMT 2007

Every so often the members of NWLUG and the (semi-defunct) MenaiLUG raise the
possibility of a meeting.  I'm going to trail an idea here that goes somewhat
beyond that, just to gauge the interest (if any!), since it's a couple of
years since I last had a tilt at this.

At the last Northern Bloc meeting, I was speaking to one of the Business
Development people in Anglesey.  They have a nice new centre in Llangefni,
with rooms which can be hired out for businesses to use.  He was not against
the idea of using this for a LUG meeting, but said that it would obviously
need to be able to demonstrate some direct relationship to business in the
area.

Thinking about this further afterwards, I wonder if there is an argument for
trying to expand this.  That is, instead of a meeting for us "converted", try
to do something that is specifically aimed at expanding the bubble.

This would be something along the following lines:
- 1-day seminar/workshop/expo on using Linux now/practically/for real work
- scheduled for some time in May or June, to give a bit of time to organise
this
- publicity through local papers, Federation for Small Businesses, and
"official" bodies like Business Eye, etc - ie specifically targeting local
small businesses
- combination of talks, hands-on, and demos split into "tracks", eg small
office end-user, office servers and networks, creative, education
- any local business that is already providing services (equipment, software,
web-design, hosting, etc) based on FLOSS would be welcome to demo/talk
- all screens used must be running Linux (ie everyone must show they are
eating their own dogfood)
- publicity material to be bilingual, handouts to be bilingual sfap, and a
couple of the talks/demos in Welsh

Deliverables (apart from the actual event):
- show that there are support structures in place for local businesses if they
want to experiment in this area
- demonstrate the range of software available, and within that, prove that the
vast bulk of ordinary business tasks can be carrried out using Linux and
other FLOSS
- show that choosing FLOSS is not an all-or-nothing option; it can slot into
your existing setup, some FLOSS runs on Microsoft Windows and Apple Mac, etc
- set Linux in the wider business context, eg no vendor lock-in on data
formats, bottom-line savings ito security and licenses, support for minority
languages, etc

This would need a fair bit of planning (assuming others think it would be
worthwhile/practical to do!), but I would be willing to lead on that if I
could get input from others.  What I could not do is develop/deliver the
programme single-handedly, so that's why I would like comments and
suggestions on scope/content, volunteers, etc.  I tend to think that Linux is
now at the stage where it is actually a pretty practical choice for a large
number of end-user IT-related tasks (Ubuntu and openSUSE spring to mind as
pretty polished distros), and just reading the list suggests to me 5-6 people
I think would be quite capable of contributing a talk or demo to an event
like this, if they wished to do so.

Obviously, the event would need to be reasonably high-quality, and the talks
would need to be relentlessly practical (in both senses: not "here's some
interesting code which draws a penguin on the screen", but "this is how you
could meet all your email needs by using FLOSS", and not "you could use
Sendmail or Postfix for that", but "here's a walkthrough of one system,
showing email clients collecting the mail, and webmail access through a
browser").

So, any views on how doable this would be, or not?

--
Pob hwyl / Best wishes

Kevin Donnelly

www.kyfieithu.co.uk - KDE yn Gymraeg