[Menai-LUG] apertium-cy - Welsh-English translator

Kevin Donnelly kevin at dotmon.com
Wed Aug 6 17:47:01 BST 2008

A note for those of you who may be interested.

We've just put the finishing touches to the initial release of an automatic
Welsh-English translator called apertium-cy, which is of course free (GPL).
More information is at http://www.cymraeg.org.uk, along with a selection of
sample texts you can paste in to see what you think of the output (which
isn't perfect yet, but better by a long shot than some of the
other "automatic translators" out there, which were discussed in an earlier
thread on this list!).

This is a multi-national effort, since it's based on software (Apertium)
developed in Spain, and since this same software includes translators for
other languages, this offers the scope for Welsh-Spanish, Welsh-French. etc
translators in the future.

An English-Welsh translator will be included in the next release.

Needless to say, this could all go a bit faster if the wordlists compiled at
public expense were available under a free license - as it is, we have to
re-collect the data as well as write software to use the data - only the
second should be necessary!  Feel free to write to your AM about this!

--
Pob hwyl / Best wishes

Kevin Donnelly

www.kymraeg.org.uk - Welsh-English translator