[Menai-LUG] [Northwales] Social Enterprise

Kevin Donnelly kevin at dotmon.com
Thu Mar 12 12:02:21 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 11 March 2009 23:00, Oli wrote:
> A totally honest question - why is this a third sector enterprise
> rather than a proper for profit project?

The "third sector" has a variety of flavours, which the first and second
sectors (private and public) have had an unholy alliance for many years in
covering up, for their own vested interests.  It runs from small charities or
community groups, through larger trading fund-type groups, to first-sector
type businesses in all but name, with a wider remit than purely monetary
bottom line (social enterprises) - most co-ops and credit unions would come
in here, and I would even count The Co-op and perhaps John Lewis and similar
groups as third sector rather than first sector.  We are encouraged to think
of the third sector as the "voluntary sector" (Mrs Jones in the Oxfam shop),
because it suits larger PLCs and local and central government not to have too
many questions asked about their own business models.  I think after the
recent economic fiasco that there will be a recalibration towards more
attention to the social and environmental impacts of the greed-based,
scratch-my-back model ... :-)

--
Pob hwyl / Best wishes

Kevin Donnelly