[Nottingham] SuSE 8.2 install problems

Martin Clough nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Apr 26 22:41:02 2003

Hello everyone!

I have just installed SuSE Linux 8.2 onto my computer, upgrading an existing
7.2 installation.  The computer has windows xp on the first partition and
linux on the second, and I use a floppy disk to boot into linux.

After the upgrade, I was unable to boot into windows as the message "Missing
Operating System" was displayed.  The 8.2 upgrade had destroyed my windows
boot-up!

I can use the system by booting from a floppy disk, but I would like to boot
from hard disk if possible.  SuSE refused to help me because I was not
upgrading from the immediately preceding version, i.e. 8.1 in this case.

Can windows xp restore its boot-up somehow? Or do I need to install LILO or
GRUB from the linux installation onto the primary partition? Or what?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks
Martin Clough