Point of the 'Linux Demo Day' (Re: [Nottingham] Hanson Chinese Meeting Update)

Martin nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Aug 8 15:52:00 2003

Duncan John Fyfe wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Aug 2003, Martin wrote:
[...]
>>(And what of Lindows... But then again, you can make Mandrake look like
>>WinXP and so on...)
>>

> IMHO the point of the 'Linux Demo Day' is to advertise and promote GNU/Linux not
> something that looks like Windows.  We can have a have a nice flashy touchy feely GUI
> and some great Demos without leaving  people thinking G/L is a windows clone or a
> poor man's windows.

Easily agreed.

Following on from the pub discussions, I also agree it to be a good idea
to settle for one distro (perhaps two at most).

However, one of the strong points for Linux is the variety and
flexibilty of choice. Linux can morph into many things... (and get to be
bewildering also...)

To show off 'some' of this: One common distro on all the machines we get
running, but showing off a range of display themes? One or two
immediately recognisable and 'friendly', through to geekie scary to
promote interest?

Also, dedicate certain machines for showing of certain (ranges) of apps,
including one to be hammered as a games machine (ouch!)...?

Further thoughts to get Jon's pen rolling also?

martin@ml1.co.uk