[Nottingham] mep software patents

David Bean nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Aug 29 23:18:01 2003

On Fri, 2003-08-29 at 12:34, .waffle wrote:

> I still don't understand this patent lark. We have the best patent system,
> as you can't patent stupid stuff like a sequence of DNA like you can in the
> states, however, if I break a US patent, I get prosecuted, right? Well,
> surely there is no point in this bill, as US patents apply in this
> country

I don't believe this is true, patents are not international. The only
way you would be prosecuted is if you traded patent infringing products,
or derived products in the US. If you don't want to be prosecuted then
you could pay for use to the patent holder. They cannot reasonably
refuse, that being the point of patents, just make it cost.

... Does someone want to explain this to me please? I'm not very