[Nottingham] NTL Cache Performance Suggestions

Andy Brown nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Feb 28 07:59:01 2003

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Robert Davies wrote:

>On Thursday 27 February 2003 18:38, you wrote:
>> If NTL start using the 1GB cap soon to kick the warez kiddies off their
>> service, I imagine it'll get a lot better for those of you who are left.

I really don't want to get into this here, as it's not really on
topic, and has been done to death elsewhere, but that attitude realy
winds me up. It's not just the warez kiddies who use the bandwidth.

>Hmmmm yep, this afternoon I managed some 30KB/s uploads.  Now inspite of
>sending quite a lot of stuff up and down today, I've only actually
>transferred 92.5MB down and 87.6MB up, and it seemed I was transferrng a lot
>of files and archives.

How about streamed audio and video? Those being two of the things that
NTL pushes the service with. Listening to a good quality internet
radio feed will eat quite a bit of bandwidth.

>OK so I could easily go and thrash on Gentoo, or Debian mirrors, or RH ISO's
>but what is the point of having local mirrors of large ftp servers when
>downloads are 50-125KB/s?

I've got 3 stable and 1 testing box at the moment, that's going to go
up at some point. I want a local mirror to reduce the load on the
official mirrors, making life easier for everybody else.

>Seems to me the >1GB on only 3 days in 14 limit is actually fair, it lets you
>have binges, if everyone insists on their full 600Kb/s or 1000Kb/s 24/7 then
>the service would simply cost a lot more, or QoS fall through the floor.

I don't think the QoS can go much further, to be honest.

--
Andy Brown