[Nottingham] size of swap partition

Martin nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jan 20 18:50:01 2003

Steve Caddy wrote:

> I was under the impression that the largest amount of swap space that would
> be used in a swap partition was the amount pageable when the paging table
> was the size of one page. I seem to remember this being about 250MB. Maybe
> this is out of date information? I do recall though that you could get
> around this by having multiple swap partitions all of the "maximum" size.

In 'olden days' it used to be 128Mb max per swap partition!

See:
http://www.xenotime.net/linux/swap-mini-howto.txt
for more up to date details.

3.  Swap space limits

Linux 2.4.10 and later, and Linux 2.5 support any combination of swap
files or swap devices to a maximum number of 32 of them.  Prior to Linux
2.4.10, the limit was any combination of 8 swap files or swap devices.
On x86 architecture systems, each of these swap areas has a limit
of 2 GiB.

Regards,

martin@ml1.co.uk