[Nottingham] Linux Tuition--Dell Workstations!!!!

Paul Sladen nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Jul 11 17:29:00 2003

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003, Graeme Fowler wrote:
> At risk of being flamed for replying to my own message,

Not on this occasion I think.  ;-)

> NottsLUG is now the proud owner of a small plethora of low-end Dell
> workstations

Wow.    *Blink*.

[pause...]

WOW!

-*- -*- -*-

The advantage of this is that:

  a) they are 6 x identical(?) machines.
  b) people can trash them by doing lots of installs on the machines.

> Company info:				http://www.hosteurope.com/

Excellent company, now my favour-ist company in the world!

(Assuming this all goes through--presumably at time we could organise a
photo-opportunity for the mutual benefit of both parties, at same time?)

> and must be used as some sort of "community" resource for the LUG as a whole.

This might make it easier to borrow somebody else's office/facilities--eg.
``Can we borrow your place--we'll bring our own GNU/Linux machines!''

I quite like the idea of having them ``looked after'' at a local charitable
type organisation on the basis that we can use them;  although again, this
is secondary and finding somewhere to put them is more immediate.

(I'm at the bottom end of Beeston and can temporarily house them;  _/*IF*/_ I
know they can be put somewhere else within a reasonable time-period...)

> I'll have to sort out zeroing the disks and so on before they leave

Knoppix and a quick 'dd' of `/dev/zero', although I appreciate that it is
time-consuming, and it's your *personal* time spent doing it.

	-Paul
--
War is inconsistent with Truth.  Nottingham, GB