CD-RW help 2 (Re: [Nottingham] Request for CDW help)

Derek Huskisson nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Jun 15 23:55:01 2003

On Fri, 2003-06-13 at 14:52, Martin wrote:
> Martin wrote:

> Taking my own advice and much searching later... Looks like this is an
> old problem with kernels freezing in the past, but which should now have
> been long fixed.
>
> I've followed examples playing with various permutations of:
> "hdg=ide-scsi hde=ide-scsi" or one or neither in the lilo append line;
> along with
> "options ide-cd ignore="hdg"" or not in modules.conf.
>
> Depending on the permutation, I get a complete system freeze at one of
> the two points as described below. Leaving disks in the DVD and cd-rom
> doesn't clear the freeze up. The only changes noted during multiple
> rebootings is that the number of files in /dev changes. Not found any
> pertinent messages in the logs (:-((. So, I'm stumped.
>

> Help?
>
> Martin

One similar problem I had a few years ago was caused by the BIOS setting
for the CD-ROM drive being set incorrectly, although the system booted
OK putting a CD in the drive froze the system, but I can't remember any
more details than that.

Number of files in /dev changing -- using devfs or hot-plugging ??

--
Derek Huskisson <derek@huskisson.free-online.co.uk>