[Nottingham] Debian devotion [was: OE Reply Fixer]

Darren Fuller nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Mar 5 11:12:01 2003

--=-etQ1ON//RnQdAfJGILsE

Okay I felt after reading this that I had to reply, mostly because of a
similar experience a short while ago.  I picked up a copy of Linux
Format with Debian(woody) on, I was running Mandrake 8.1 at the time and
really wanted to try something new so I installed it on my AMD 1.13Ghz
machine, I screwed up the installation a few times (N.B. it was me and
not Debian that screwed up) but finally got it on and running

After scanning through the system to find all the commands that I needed
to connect to the internet and other such delights I was going full
speed, I spent a while getting apps such as Evolution and OpenOffice
installed but it was working.  I would have to say that I learnt more
during the first two months of using Debian than I had done in a year
and a half of Mandrake.  Then I found apt, what more can I say?  I could
never get synaptic to work but apt I loved.

A couple of months ago I moved back to Mandrake (version 9.0) as I was
getting to the point where I wanted to a distro I could use and not
think to much about, but I don't think that a weekend has gone by when I
haven't wanted to re-install Debian, most notably when I am trying to
install something and have to mess around with dependencies!

I think Debian is a system that you need to work with to get it right
for you, but when it is working as you want it to it is great.