[Nottingham] Too much traffic

Richard Nolan nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Mar 5 19:14:02 2003

Iain Alexander said :
> I already have all these filtered as it is, but to be honest there's
> quite a few topics that don't' spark my interest (i.e. although I think
> naanet is a great idea, not living inside the city it's just an interest
> out of curiousity that anything else)

I don't live in the city any more either (although I did still find the
thread interesting). I don't have a lot of time to read things, so I
either usually end up catching-up on the move, or doing it from lots of
random locations, so I like being able to SSH into my email to do it,
*or* download copies for offline reading.

> My point is that I would have thought that not everyone is interested in
> EVERY topic discussed yet, being email it's delivered to your inbox
> regardless. With a web based forum the user reads only what interests
> them.

By using mark as read, can't you do the same?

> But, as this list works fine for you without a problem, it might be that
> you're in the majority and I'm the minority.
>
> It's was just a thought

Well.. maybe you could take a look at something like :-

http://www.northwales.lug.org.uk/

They have switched to forums a while ago, and it seems to have become
far less than active. Email does take a lot less time to read than
logging in to forums and using them, and you can read it when you want,
so I would suggest that we would loose a lot of regular contributors
through this (not using myself as an example, as I haven't said too much
recently :) )..

--
Richard Nolan                                      http://www.choob.org/
richard@choob.org                               http://photos.choob.org/