[Nottingham] Too much traffic

Robert Davies nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Mar 5 21:22:00 2003

On Wednesday 05 March 2003 19:13, you wrote:
> Iain Alexander said :
> > Email traffic seems to be getting heaving in the mailing list, would it
> > prudent to consider another method of communication instead of a
> > listserver?
> >
> > I'm specifically thinking about web forum or perhaps irc?
> >
> > Thoughts. Opinions, flames always welcome :)
>
> Aren't mailing lists ideal for high-traffic?

Yep, I've not had any problem, maybe it depends on your email client.  Mine
autosorts LUG email into a folder, and does threading so it's not a problem.

> I personally use much higher traffic lists with much sucess.. maybe it
> would be easier for you to create some kind of filter so you only read
> it when you want to?

What happened to a Mailing list digest option?  Leicester switched a while
back to Mailman, which I think allows daily digests.

The only annoying thing about that is the number of readers who reply to
digest, without fixing the subject, and of course Top Posters, who then send
the whole digest back to everyone to become even less digestible on the
following day..

Maybe Clive Jones <clive@tux-it.co.uk> who is the main Leicester man might
comment on it.

It used to be common to have Email -> News gateways and use USEnet readers to
handle high volume lists, as they tend to have more facilities for ignoring
what you aren't interested in.

Rob