[Nottingham] Re: Re: microsoft .net bus :OT

mike nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Mar 12 19:18:02 2003

Hi All,

> You mentioned they might be around tomorrow, where-abouts are they as I
> might pay them a visit and hassle them?  I'm interested how come the guy was
> using `vi'?  ...perhaps it really is better than their development IDEs :-)
>
> 	-Paul
sorry for the late reply, i get the digest so im a day behind. The bus
was tuesday only. I think they were at derby earlier in the month and
the posh uni is also part of the academic alliance program so they
may/may not have already been there. There's a page on microsoft.com
about the details of the 'alliance' if anyone wants to check it out.

I think the guy used vi to 'wrong foot' the potential linux advocates in
the audience.(he also kept it in insert mode and gave :w and :q as
separate commands). He also seemed to imply that the linux
implementation of .net was pretty legit and gave an example of using it
to build kde apps. Quite clever marketing of "linux as our friends". I
should have asked if it was ok to build viral code with my free copy,
but I didn't:-(

> Que ?  Full licensed versions ?  Do they need activation ?

I imagine they do, although I don't have details yet. I wonder if they
will be de-activated when the students graduate. (timed to the second
:-))

I was talking to a developer on the bus and mentioned I used netbeans to
build java stuff and how it ran really slow. After assuring me that
properly compiled code from .net would run lots quicker I asked if would
run on a pII 233. He eventually admitted the min spec for VS.net is a
pIII 450. And I wasn't even trying to score points.

ta
mike