[Nottingham] debian?

Simon Amor nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Mar 23 15:16:01 2003

Rob Andrews wrote:
> You mentioned 'testing'; Are you after the unstable ('current') branch?

Something a bit more recent than kernel 2.2.20

> apt is fairly simple. If you're happy with staying with 'woody', then:
>
> apt-get install <package>
>
> Is great for you.
>
> If you want to go to the latest unstable distro, edit /etc/apt/sources.list
> and replace instances of 'woody' with 'sid' (I recommend that if you want to
> use 'sarge', you have 'sid' and 'sarge' sources in the file, not just the
> latter). Then:
>
> apt-get update
>
> To update the package listing.
>
> apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> Will upgrade to the latest package versions.

It must already be up to date as nothing happened.

platinum:~# apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Calculating Upgrade... Done
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0  not
upgraded.
platinum:~# cat /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free

deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ stable main non-free contrib
deb-src http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ stable main non-free contrib
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free
deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free
platinum:~#

Doesn't appear to be any instance of woody in there. I did try
replacing 'stable' with 'testing' but that just died horribly next time
I tried to use apt-get

  Simon
--
Simon Amor   simon@shoe.bocks.com