[Nottingham] CVs, Linux, and amusement

James Gibbon nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri May 23 14:28:01 2003

Jon Masters wrote:

> While on the topic of CVs and Microsoft formats, I cannot resist letting
> you in on this one. I contacted a certain very large UNIX Systems,
> services and manufacturing company[0] quite recently, and figured you
> might be interested to know that:
>
> ``Unfortunately you have not attached your CV, would you please send it as
>   either Word or ASCII''.
>          ^^^^
>
> Of course there are two reactions to this:
>
> 1). I am instantly put off and think ``now why would a UNIX Systems
>     company whose systems do not and cannot run Microsoft Office ask for a
>     Word document?''. This immediately asks people to go somewhere else as
>     quickly as possible or to wonder why said company is running M$.

I think you are either overestimating the degree of loathing and
religious prejudice that people who work with Unix - in general -
feel toward Microsoft -applications- (as opposed to Windows or
Microsoft itself), or underestimating the usefulness of using
proprietary formats which are de-facto standards.

As long as there's a business advantage in using PCs running
Windows - and if you are likely to receive Excel spreadsheets or
Word documents from external sources on a regular basis, there is -
then even a company whose business is based on Unix is going to do
so.

I worked in the Unix systems department of a large firm for several
years, and, in addition to my nice shiny SPARCstation, I had to use
an NT PC nearly every day. No, I didn't enjoy it, but at least I
understood the need to do so.

And lets be honest - while their operating system is a disgrace,
some of their desktop applications deserve their status as defacto
standards.  If I had to knock up a project plan this afternoon, I'd
use M$ Project.  And if I needed to create a presentation, I'd
definitely rather use Powerpoint than whatever OpenOffice has to
offer.  Sorry .. ;o)

I bet that Unix systems company you refer to had Windows or NT on
their PCs, and the part of their message that you quote here
reinforces my point quite well.

James