[Nottingham] Starting services

Andy Brown nlug at jester.nu
Tue Oct 28 08:08:44 GMT 2003

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003, Michael Leuty wrote:

>On Monday 27 Oct 2003 23:04, James Gibbon wrote:
>> How do you actually retrieve your mail?  You may not need (or want)
>> to run the daemon.  I call spamassassin from procmail and don't use
>> spamd myself.
>
>I'm running a filter in Kmail which pipes the emails through either
>spamassassin or spamc (said to be faster, but needs spamd to be
>running). Using spamassassin seems to be fast enough (and works fine),
>but I wondered how to start spamd out of interest.
>
>Libranet (which is Debian-based) doesn't have a utility to start and
>stop services. I may need to edit some text files (shock horror).  ;-)

If you installed from a package then I'd expect things to be up and
working anyway. If not try
/etc/init.d/spamassassin restart
and check syslog for output.
If it's not restarting properly on boot then you'll be missing a link
from one of the rc?,d directories, I think.

--
Andy Brown (pre coffee, so all sorts of errors are possible)