[Nottingham] Gentoo portage tips

Roger Light nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Sep 1 12:20:00 2003

Hi Rob,

>1)  Avoid emerge later wanting to 'downgrade' a package, previously =
emerged=20
>from unstable ie. ~x86.  I probably need a few eg) from DRI HOWTO.

As someone has already mentioned, do "emerge -U" instead of "emerge -u" to =
upgrade packages. When you do this, it will state ">>> --upgradeonly =
implies --update... adding --update to options.". This is nothing to worry =
about! You should really use "emerge -Uu" I guess, but it doesn't matter.

>2)  Upgrade all security critical updates
>
>A weakness of portage was that packages installed to fulfill dependancies,=
=20
>might not get updated after security alerts, unless you specifically =
have=20
>emerged them.

I believe that adding -D or --deep to the options will do this. You'd best =
look at the man page because I'm not *entirely* sure that it is doing what =
you want.

Cheers,

Roger