[Nottingham] HDD cloning via LAN

Paul Sladen notlug at paul.sladen.org
Tue Apr 27 18:41:21 BST 2004

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, Martin wrote:
> Given two laptops, what is the best way to clone the hdd from one onto
> the other using their LAN connections?

First laptop (destination):

  # nc -l -p 1234 | gunzip -cd > /dev/hda

Second laptop (source):

  # nc 10.0.0.1 1234 | gzip -3 < /dev/hda

The low-compression gzip should accelerate unformatted disk areas without
caning your CPU.  E&OE.

Depending on the circumstances;  (restartability, whether rsh/ssh was
working, the amount of CPU available and whether I wanted a progress report,
I might also use a combination of `rsync' and `dd'.

	-Paul
--
Is there no safe way to travel?  London, GB