[Nottingham] Slashdot and ridiculous NTL Cache

Moses O'Hara cczmoses at unix.ccc.nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Dec 9 16:14:00 GMT 2004

God that was hard work reading all the rant! I would like to reciprocate the favour with a similarly lengthy and equally pointless posting.

If were looking at going down the proxy root with NTL I would recommend using from Nottingham either Belfast (1 through 3) proxies or Guildford (1 through about 6 from what I can remember). Guildford is a huge interconnect in the NTL 'fast transit' triangle and should provide could connection speeds. Belfast is much the same. Also Cambridge ( I think it's proxy 3) use to be fairly nippy, though this might be getting hammered now days as well.

Take the time and call NTL. No ticket numbers but everything s logged under sabs now days under your account number (might be using fusion in Swansea still). OK it takes about half an hour but it'll be worth it just to log the call.

If Swansea Cable Modem support have the same SLA's as other services Fault Management Centres (if you're in Nottingham your local FMC will be Teeside) I believe the turn around for resolution is 48 hours (may be 72 hours). Check upon this and if the fault hasn't been resolved you are more than entitled to ask for your money back. If the issue is still ongoing for an unreasonable amount of time, terminate the contract.

NTL  are very good at customer retention and have developed there 'anti-churn' techniques for years. This doesn't change the fact your not getting service that you could through menial action through NTLI.

Speak to Citizens Advise bureau, speaks to OFCOM. These are all thinks you can do to extricate yourself from the 12 month contractual period for your cable services.

Sound like a lot of ball ache and work? I believe this is proportional to how bad you think the service is or weather it's just another 'British Consumer' Toys out of Prams throwing scenario.

Have fun!