[Nottingham] accessing pci bus with kde and mepis

Philip Scott pgs31 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Feb 18 21:15:54 GMT 2004

Heyho

You can't (As far as I am aware) grant yourself access to the entire pci bus
in one fell swoop, you can however, grant users or groups access to specific
devices using chmod or chown.

Hello There!

I _girl_! On the LUG? My word, the news is spreading! :)

If you only need it to work for one user (lets call him jimbob), the easiest
way is to make yourself the owner of the device you want to access. It
depends what your modem is called, but

chown jimbob /dev/modem

Should work. If it doesn't, look at what /dev/modem points to:

ls -l /dev|grep modem

e.g. with an intel HaM modem, I see it points to /dev/dsp so

chown jimbob /dev/ham

works nicely.

As for sound, if your using OSS,
chown jimbob /dev/dsp
chown jimbob /dev/mixer

should do the trick - with alsa, try
chown jimbob /dev/sound/*

Of course, the proper way to do things would be to set up a group for all the
people you want to be able to access specific devices - chgrp the devices to
that particular group and chmod g+rwx /dev/whatever to give members of that
group full access to it.

hope this helps,

Regards,
	Philip