[Nottingham] Shared filesystem

Philip Scott pgs31 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Jan 28 23:55:35 GMT 2004

Greetings,

> >> A BIG bonus for the 2.6 kernel is that full NTFS read-write is now
> >> supported.

> It is now... read the 2.6 notes.

This is very much news to me..
(From /usr/src/linux/Documentation/filesystems/ntfs.txt)

"The driver currently supports read-only mode (with no fault-tolerance,
encryption or journalling) and very limited, but safe, write support."

As I understand it, the write support you have is basically changing the
contents of a file. You cannot create new files, or resize existing ones. All
you can do is alter bytes in them. (I quizzed Dave Jones when he came to give
us a talk) Although of course things could have changed since then.

You can, however, access NTFS drives using Captive

http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/

Which uses WINE and windows' own DLL to get the job done :)

Cheers,
	Philip