[Nottingham] Grub error or HD prob?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Mon Jul 19 19:34:28 BST 2004

lists at voila.fr wrote:
[...]
> Anyway I can't boot into Windows on hda1, getting the following error
> from Grub :
>
> Error 25 : Disk read error Press any key to continue
>
> When any key is pressed, I can choose a Linux partition and all works
> as it should. The grub manual tells me that : A disk read error
[...]

Well... If you've not changed anything else, then it looks like a disk
(hardware) error.

If you're lucky, it might be that a virus or windows or a sudden
power-off has scrambled that part of the disk.

Backup what you can, then try your manufacturer's disk check utility.

For the paranoid, check out your system first with memtest86 and the
GIMPS torture test to give a little reassurance that you haven't got
other hardware faults lurking.

Good luck,

martin at ml1.co.uk