[Nottingham] Jobs in Open Source?

David Bean david at dbean.uklinux.net
Mon Jun 7 19:28:23 BST 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 15:00, Martin wrote:
> > On Sunday 06 June 2004 17:54, David Bean wrote:
> >
> >>To be quite honest, Linux isn't ready. I've not seen a GNU/Linux
> >>distribution which has as many of the enterprise features of Windows.
>
> I know of at least one distro that has excellent 'enterprise' features
> far and above and beyond the 'Wondows Experience'.

Requirements to upgrade to GNU/Linux where I work:

Compatibility with (Legacy) Windows Applications (for 7 years in some
departments)
- Windows itself

Annual maintenance agreements for above software (an audit requirement).
- only if you are running windows xx for many companies

Distributed user configuration
- Active Directory distributed permissions

Centralised application roll-outs, and upgrades.
- Active directory enabled applications

A single standard desktop, for support costs.
- Probably running Windows at home too.

Minimal training of non technical staff (about 500 of them).
- Mainly in the use of a different office application.

Minimal Training of IT staff (9 of them).
- Many don't even want to more than the minimal amount of work to get
paid. Only one other person familiar with anything but Windows.

Automated roll-out of OS releases, and patches.
- SUS and Active Directory.

Cheap, fast and trouble free migration/upgrade.
- A single day offline would be too slow, for, say, an Exchange
migration/upgrade.

Cost/Benefit and Risk
- GNU/Linux and Open-Office would possibly be cheaper but is it worth
the risk of moving from Windows?

> All that might be lacking are the pretty hand-holding reassuring GUI's
> and forms for configuring whatever (that then blow up in yer face (:-)) ...

It would be nice to have the choice between GUI and console, as I know
where I feel more productive.

> (Note that you can add your own 'enterprise stuff', and then there is
> always a bash script or few (;-))

I could, but people without bash skills would have to support the
system. It's one extra thing to learn.

> Have another look!

Every day I do.

On Sun, 2004-06-06 at 18:12, Andrew Mason wrote:
> At least that explains why the recruiters aren't familiar with Linux / OSS. What
> would you recommend would be the best way to apply Linux experience to a windows
> environment?

Use Knoppix to your advantage, If both Windows and Knoppix are having problems with
some hardware, then it's probably faulty. It can open NTFS, and FAT filesystems for
when someone has put a PC on the network, but not the Domain, and forgotten the
Administrator password (very often blank).

O'Reilly's Essential System Administration will come in handy if you ever need to
write policy documents, as it details many things like security policy in detail.

If you end up working with fools for System Administrators, keep a closed Linux box
on the network for important stuff like service packs (for Windows) for when viruses
get in.

David Bean

PS  I Love Linux and the free software movement, I think it's great.