[Nottingham] Jobs in Open Source?

Andrew Mason pearl.jam at hotkey.net.au
Wed Jun 9 10:39:16 BST 2004

> Only kidding David - our hearts are with you: many of us work in MS houses
> and
> have to work around the many problems posed by proprietary software that is
>
> effectively unsupported. I'm personally in the process of migrating an
> NT4/W2K/ADS/Exchange network to Samba/IMAP(Secure) - we expect to save a fair

One of my friends has just done this at his accounting company. It paid off in
more ways than was expected. Not only did he save the upgrade cost of going from
NT4 to 2k3 but his performance increases for each server was enough that he
could afford to put off buying any new servers till (predicted) next financial
year. With his server budget from this year, he changed 20% of the network
clients to apple machines running OSX and says that he spends roughly 1/2 the
time he was on support. This is because the 20% of the network that he changed
to OSX were temp staff or just not computer savvy. With OSX this wasn't such a
problem as you have to enter the CLI and know how to use it to do any damage to
the systems.