[Nottingham] Newbie Setting up server for home network

Mark Ratcliffe mark.ratcl at ntlworld.com
Thu Mar 11 00:47:30 GMT 2004

I`m planning on setting up a home network (probably over the coming
weekend) using an old p1 clone machine (32meg of ram) running linux as a
router/server/firewall for my NTL BroadBand connection. This box will then
be connected to my missus` Windoze XP machine and my linux box via a
Linksys 5 port workgroup hub.

Now, as it is I`m not exactly any sort of guru (only ever really had linux
as a desktop machine), so could anybody possibly point me in the direction
of any relevant web pages/links that might help me accomplish this (for me)
amazing feat of computing.

Whilst I`m here, I cant decide which distro to go for as the firewall; the
choices I have come down to-

Mandrake or
Smoothwall

I do have a couple of other distros lying about but am not really 100% sure
about configuring them so am leaving them alone for the moment.

TIA

Mark