[Nottingham] Nettiquette and the Nottingham LUG list

Michael Leuty mike at leuty.net
Tue May 25 23:43:52 BST 2004

On Tue, 2004-05-25 at 16:20, Martin wrote:
> Godfrey Nix wrote:
> > We do not want flame wars, ...
> Ohh I don't know... The odd one or two can be fun!

It depends on what you want to do. If your aim is to demonstrate your
erudition and powers of sarcasm then flames are fit for purpose. But if
you want to change the mind of the person you are arguing with then they
are counter-productive.

Human nature is such that the more we are criticised and insulted, the
more tenaciously we cling to the criticised beliefs. Only when people
treat us courteously and try to understand our point of view are we
likely to concede that they may be right.

--
Michael Leuty <mike at leuty.net>