[Nottingham] Spam Filtering

Duncan John Fyfe djf at star.le.ac.uk
Wed May 26 13:24:24 BST 2004

On 26 May 2004, Michael Simms wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 09:10, Duncan John Fyfe wrote:
> > Seeing the recent thread on the subject would anyone be willing to fill one of
> > our empty slots with a talk on spam filtering ?
> >
> > Topics  covered could be:
> > What sort of automated spam filtering can be done (Baysian filters, Challange Response) ?
> >
> > What software already exists to do this  (TMDA, SpamAssassin ...) ?
> >
> > What is appropriate for business use and home use ?
> >
> > Ultimately, can spam be overcome by non-violent means and/or what steps could
> > be taken to reduce/eliminate spam ?
>
> Given the many different opposing viewpoints, I dont know how viable a talk
> would be, why not have a debate on it instead?

I'm happy for either but a debate would need to start with a neutral round up of
the state of play.
All I know about it is:
	I have to use my delete key a lot more than I used to

	Our sys admin started recommending TMDA until he realised it was putting a stupid load
	on the the already loaded mail server and had to stop recommending it.

	The Univerity computer admins have implemented a 'if incoming mail is from  @le.ac.uk
	then drop it' policy.  This royally stomps on mailing lists which don't rewrite the From: field
	such as this one and several we use for collaborations with other groups and is a PITA.

Have fun,
Duncan

--
Duncan John Fyfe          X-ray Astronomy Group,
                          Dept. of Physics & Astronomy,