[Nottingham] Hard disk problem

David Aldred david at familyaldred.org.uk
Tue Nov 2 19:12:54 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 02 Nov 2004 18:56, Michael Simms wrote:
> Tat sounds a lot like either bad sectors -

That's what I thought...

> try running badblocks on the
> disc (make sure to use read only test on it, unless you have everything
> backed up) and it will mark the sectors as bad and fsck should be better

Thanks for that - just looked at the man page for badblocks, though, and it
rather implies that fsck is actually running badblocks as part of its process
(the man page says "For this reason, it is strongly recommended that users
not run badblocks directly, but rather  use  the -c option of the e2fsck and
mke2fs programs." - which is what I'm doing, albeit using fsck to frontend
e2fsck).  Is running it seperately likely to be faster?

(It's now reached 5300959 - a bit faster over the last half hour, but still a
long way to go!)
--
David Aldred