DISTRO advise (was Re: [Nottingham] k3b install, yum, gcc and libs)

Michael Erskine msemtd at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Sep 17 14:49:28 BST 2004

On Friday 17 September 2004 10:32, David Wolfson wrote:
> 'Which distro?'.

Debian has, for me, with apt, provided an appreciated package management
compromise between the .tgz simplicity of Slackware, the
large-weapon-for-small-target overview of RPM/MDKs in RedHat/Mandrake, and
the brilliant purity but seemingly time-consuming (for the CPU not the user,
I must add) Gentoo "compile everything but this may take some time". I
started with RedHat (4.2), moved to Mandrake (around 5 or 6), then to
Slackware (7 for my small footprint Pixie system), and then onto Debian
(Potato after talking to Paul Sladen in the pub). I have yet to find the time
to properly try Gentoo but I'm sure I'll get there in the end!

> Sorry for a very long draw out e-mail, but I didn't want to be asking the
> same old question!
>
> Dave

Same old question - same old points of view. It is Friday afternoon so I'm
drunk anyhow!

Regards,
Michael.