[Nottingham] testing to stable on release day

Alex Tibbles alex_tibbles at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Sep 24 14:00:42 BST 2004

 --- "Haber, Michael" <michael.haber at ntu.ac.uk> wrote:

> >> OK upgraded them all now.
> >> Notes for those interested:
> >> 1) Updating nano failed unless /usr/man/man1
> >> existed, and this stopped the update. 'mkdir -p
> /usr/man/man1'
> >filed a nano bug? it might be fixable before the
> >release.
> Yeah done that, getting some extra info from my
> boxes now. Thanks
> for the reminder.
cool.

> >>Converting to ext3 is trivial (change the fstab
> fstype
> >>option, create a journal, done!) - I managed it
> first
> >>time (and was surprised), PROVIDING that you have
> your
> >>kernel set up right, either with ext3 support
> compiled
> >>in, or an initrd with the module or ...
> This is the / partition though. Not sure I'll be
> able to
> Remount / read only and convert to ext3 through ssh.
> But I haven't tried yet.....I'm guessing im gonna
> have to do it
> sat at the boxen(?).
> Ta
> Mike
Thinking carefully (always hard Friday afternoon) I
did do it at the machine, but can't think of anything
that I couldn't have done remotely.
http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/ext2toext3.htm
describes the process: see the / partition bit. I
can't remember whether I converted the partition while
it was mounted rw or whether I booted off a rescue
disk. Anecdotal evidence that doing that works. TO be
safe rather than sorry, I'd do it at the machine (with
a rescue disk in hand) unless it isn't critical.

alex