[Nottingham] dealing with rar files in Linux

Robert Hart enxrah at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Aug 10 17:16:39 BST 2005

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005, Matt Bunter wrote:

> aptitude update
> aptitude install unrar
>
> On my system now is what appears to be a VERY old 0.0.1-1 version of unrar

<guess>
I suspect what you've ended up with is a very primitive *open source*
unrar, which I suspect Ubuntu is using in preference to the non-free
unrar, that everybody else is probably using.
</guess>

> Now, without breaking everything (no suggestions to do a dist-upgrade
> please) how would one get version 3 - or even 2 for that matter.

Doesn't Ubuntu have a non-free repository somewhere? multiverse? I think
if you google for ubuntu unrar-nonfree, you might get an answer...

Rob