[Nottingham] SUSE linux 10 and a wireless LAN - help?

Michael Quaintance penfoldq at penfoldq.co.uk
Tue Dec 20 22:54:15 GMT 2005

John Cremona wrote:
> So here's the question:  do I (a) plug the WAP directly onto main PC,
> requiring a 3rd network card on that to be bought and configured;  or
> (b) could I plug the WAP into a spare socket on the existing wired
> hub?  If both would work, is one better than the other?

(b) is the easiest but (a) makes it a little safer to split the DMZ of the
  less trustworthy wireless portion of the network.

Personally, I'd do (b). It is the closest to the setup I actually have here.

The more paranoid about security you are, the better option (a) is but
as you actually seem to do work from the box that routes, you aren't
paranoid enough to make this worthwhile.

As for AP recommendations, I have a Linksys Wireless Ethernet Bridge
(WET11) that works fine but the manual was appalling, the configuration
CD-ROM didn't work under XP-Pro and only after 15 minutes of googling
did I find the info I needed to enable me to set it up. I know the WET11
isn't an AP but I now expect the documentation of any Linksys product
to be overly complicated by wrong documentation.

Obviously, you may have different experiences! C'est la vie!

Hope this helps.

-Penfold.