[Nottingham] Re: Broadband

James Gibbon jg at jamesgibbon.com
Fri Dec 30 19:35:40 GMT 2005

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 00:32:50 -0000
"Kenneth Huggins" <ken-huggins at FSBDial.co.uk> wrote:

> Well Christmas was a success in as much as I finally got the time to load
> Ubuntu onto my girlfriend's PC ... only to discover that the broadband
> connection wouldn't work.  I've fired off a query to BT (nothing of help on
> their website), but so far there's been a stony silence.  Do I remember
> there being a sharp intake of breath when I once mentioned that Gwen's
> broadband is via a USB port ?  Has anyone else out there managed to get
> broadband working via a USB connection ?

The trouble is, the BT-supplied hardware is intended to rely on
drivers designed to run under Windows when connected via USB - so
I'm afraid you'll be on your own when using Linux, as far as BT
is concerned. If it's a router with an ethernet port - the
ubiquitous BT Voyager 205 perhaps - then you're better off using
ethernet.

James

--
Dig It : a forum for Euro Beatles fans - http://beatles.dyndns.org/