[Nottingham] RFC: Proposed talks/events for 2005

Michael Erskine msemtd at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Feb 1 11:54:28 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 01 February 2005 11:24, Martin Garton wrote:
> That would be interesting to me too. This could perhaps also talk about
> format conversion in general including e.g. DV to divx conversion or even
> conversion to ogg theora/vorbis for a non patent-restricted format)

Yup, we could bring in some kit for demonstration and testing: I have a DivX
DVD player that plays all sorts of movie/music file formats on data CDs and
DVDs (iso9660 + Joliet) so I tend to only write data disks with K3B. Of
course, these won't play on most other folks "proper" DVD players that
require the right filesystem. Until recently our family DVD player was a PS2
and I think it's a good testbed for a grumpy no-frills, strict-standards
player.

There's a lot of discussion to be had about disk formats and writer
compatibility (anyone use dual layer yet?) - and let's not forget the 2.6.8
kernel thing where only root could write disks!

Regards,
Michael.

--
Noise proves nothing.  Often a hen who has merely laid an egg cackles
as if she laid an asteroid.