[Nottingham] Re: SANE:HP scanjet 5370c

David Wolfson eaxdrw at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Feb 2 23:34:59 GMT 2005

Update...

I can scan.  It's a little... stripey, but it is a scan! Much delving into man pages FAQ/HOWTO sites, and I discovered that the 'hpusbscsi' mentioned before appears to make my usb scanner act as a scsi one... eurgh (For now this is still the case, but acording to the developer of the backend it is now possible to remove this module... any clues?). Anyway, I went on to find a really useful too in the form of the 'sane troubleshoot' at:

http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/sts/

This handy little chap runs through all aspect of the install and setup and points out where you have problems. In my case, sane_start couldn't launch the scanner, so I compiled the newest backends and ran it again. BINGO! As I say, it's a little stripey (in fact so stripey it's useless), and although I can't run xsane, I can run xscanimage. I think I still have some work ahead to get something useable, but at least they're talking.

Any further tips still appreciated, but thanks for all the advise,

Dave