[Nottingham] Ubuntu fully installed

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Sat Feb 19 15:45:02 GMT 2005

Ron Wilton wrote:
[---]
> You might be interested to know that I've managed to fully load Ubuntu
[---]

Good stuff (:-))

[---]
> I'm also having problems with the CD player as it sometimes freezes the
> system when I try to read from it.

The only times I've come across this, it has always been a hardware fault.

Check the ide cable connections and that the master device is at one
extreme end and the motherboard at the other extreme end. Also check
that you have master/slave correctly jumpered.

Failing that, then you either have a duff CDROM drive, duff cable or
broken motherboard.

There's a slight chance that the linux drivers or hdparm settings are
wrong, so try checking the drive with another OS or DOS even.

Certain strangely (deliberately!) corrupt CD media can cause the drive
firmware or drivers to loop... (Which answered why a certain commercial
CD didn't have the 'compact disc' stamp on it...(:-((

> I'm finding it difficult getting my head around the linux file
> management system - I think this is due to my thinking 'Windows'. Do you
> have any suggestions that might help me change my thinking.

Linux follows the unix style of hierarchy.

There are no "A:, C:, D:, etc" jugglings. The entire filesystem and
devices are rooted at "/". Everything is then under this filesystem root.

Most system configs are in "/etc", and your user's files will be
somewhere in "/home/username" where 'username' is you. Under that,
you'll find personal configs in "." files such as ".gnome/".

Take a look on http://tldp.org/ for further details.

Welcome to the group,

martin at ml1.co.uk