[Nottingham] samba and my rapidy unravelling sanity...

David Wolfson eaxdrw at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Jul 13 12:05:22 BST 2005

I am going bonkers. Why on earth should a samba password change throw all the printing out the window? Other than a couple of niggles (e.g. never decreasing list of old jobs) everything was working fine for months, now, the only way to get anything out of it is via an lpr at a terminal! As print serving is the most common job on this machine and until today this was the best it'd run EVER, I'm now a rather frustrated bunny (can you tell!).

So, one of two options;
1) how do I get it fixed?
2) how do other people print from windows?

At the moment its RH9, with cups-1.1.23-1 and samba-3.0.11rc1-1 with an HP2300d and an HP890c.
I can't get SWAT to run.
I can get IPP to run properly.
Neither smb.conf or cups.conf have changed.
Queues can be seen in windows and printer properties examined, but 'printing failed when starting the document' every time.

Sorry for the rant. This is really silly, as I know it can work, but it seems hugely tempremental and I'm sure there must be a better solution! I'm off to back up some conf files and see if I can get anywhere with XPP...

Hoping for a cheer up,

Dave